haiku-usa

A blog devoted mainly to haiku and senryu and to thoughts about, and inspired by, haiku and senryu.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York

Haiku is to poetry as espresso is to coffee.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

First

haiku conference
I meet an old friend
for the first time

Written in Santa Fe NM, where I have been attending Haiku North America, a bi -annual conference of haiku poets from North America and elsewhere. Another attendee was writing almost exactly the same poem, at almost the same time, as I was writing mine. The only difference was that she wrote "gathering" where I wrote "conference." This experience, of meeting in the flesh for the first time someone one has known for years through their work and sometimes through correspondence, provides some of the most powerful moments of the conference. The rest of the stuff is good, too.

5 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

a very familiar situation in this age of blogs and social media!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Adelaide said...

It I tried to post a comment before, but it failed.

I have more friends online, than in person. Although we may never meet, I feel a closeness.
A well expressed haiku.

Adelaide

3:51 PM  
Blogger Adelaide said...

Hi Bill,

Twice I send a comment for this haiku from my Ipad, but I don't think it went through.
Anyway, this is so true about online friends.

Adelaide

7:17 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Yes, common, but a great pleasure to get to know your friends the old fashioned way. Thanks, Juliet.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

E-mails have been going astray lately. Thanks for your efforts and for the comment. Adelaide. Maybe we'll meet at the next HNA.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.