haiku-usa

A blog devoted mainly to haiku and senryu and to thoughts about, and inspired by, haiku and senryu.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York

Haiku is to poetry as espresso is to coffee.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

At Devika's blog

At Devika Jyothi's blog, I find this, by Emily Dickinson

to see the summer sky
is poetry, though never in a book it lie –
true poems flee

which, to me, is extraordinarily beautiful, as well as an eloquent – though not intended – statement of the essence of haiku. Thank you, Devika.

And thank you, again and always, Emily.

Note: In the original post, I inadvertently omitted the word "summer," an error pointed out to me by Devika in a comment that, for reasons I do not understand has not yet appeared at the blog. Thanks again, Devika.

6 Comments:

Blogger Devika Jyothi said...

Thanks Bill, for the reference. I found the verse to go well with the photo of the sky where the clouds were fast dispersing...kind of catching the moment, which again is what haiku is about.

Emily Dickinson - a great poet of all times...and the quote says 'summer sky' -

"to see the summer sky
is poetry, though never in a book it lie –
true poems flee.


ps: when Google Reader stopped service, i lost link to all the blogs...though slowly i'm again building it at website watcher. Just to say that i'm still, and happy to be reading, though not around on blogs.

thanks again, bill and hope all is well with you.

regards,
devika


9:07 PM  
Blogger haiku-shelf (Angelika Wienert) said...

Dear Devika, dear Bill,

I'd read Emily Dickinson's verses at Devika's blog too. I had tried to comment but it didn't work.

Dickinson, Frost and Williams are my favourite American poets.

And I think that all the mentioned poets have haiku quality (very special quality) in a lot of their work.

Best wishes,
Angelika

5:33 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Three of my favorites, too, Angelika. And Whitman, for all his sprawl and barbaric yawp has many haiku moments.

Thanks for the visit.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Ah, Devika, there you are. I was looking for your comment in the wrong place. Anyway, it's always a pleasure to hear from you, and I visit your blog regularly.

8:06 AM  
Blogger haiku-shelf (Angelika Wienert) said...

"And Whitman..." That's a good reminder, Bill. I know nothing about Whitman -- just his name (a sigh ... I was too lazy ...).

Well, I'll read Whitman ...

And I'll tell you about it ... some day ...

12:06 PM  
Blogger Devika Jyothi said...

Dear Angelika, sorry the comments have been closed there, and am not very regular too. But thanks much for reading and the mention, Bill and Angelika.

Best regards,
devika

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.