haiku-usa

A blog devoted mainly to haiku and senryu and to thoughts about, and inspired by, haiku and senryu.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York

Haiku is to poetry as espresso is to coffee.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

centuries

This morning at Monika's excellent blog, I came across this ku. It was in French, but I translated it into English, and, with Monika's permission, I share my translation of her poem with you

cardinals in Rome
their secret discussion
of transparency

The ku inspired a comment, which took the form of a monostich, or one-line poem – in this case, a senryu

the Church thinks in centuries not this one

3 Comments:

Blogger polona said...

an excellent senryu by Monika but i looove your response, wonderfully multilayered and thought-provoking.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Thank you, Polona. I don't know who first said "The church thinks in centuries," but it's an observation that turns up a lot.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

Oh yes, thank your for your monostich in response to my ku - I just love it (it's one of those I would have liked to write myself)!

les temps sont durs
tous mes haïku s'avèrent
des senryû

tough times
all my haiku turn out
to be senryu

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.