haiku-usa

A blog devoted mainly to haiku and senryu and to thoughts about, and inspired by, haiku and senryu.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York

Haiku is to poetry as espresso is to coffee.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

grass

outside the wall
around the cemetery
long grass

fuori del muro
intorno al cimitero
l'erba è alta

au-delà du mur
entourant le cimetière
l'herbe est haute
tr. italienne Moussia Fantoli, francais Serge Tome

This appeared, with the translations, at tempslibre, June 2007. My thanks, and a tip of the hat, to Moussia and Serge.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That really reads well. Nice, Bill!

8:54 PM  
Blogger The Site Administrator said...

I enjoyed this one. Has a bit of a Santoka flavour to it.

7:00 AM  
Blogger floots said...

it speaks volumes about transience and permanence
thank you

7:19 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Thanks, aurora.

Santoka, Richard! I couldn't be more flattered.

Permanence and transience, floots. I keep coming back to that.

Looking at the work of Serge and Moussia, I feel I lose something in the original.

8:14 AM  
Blogger haiku-shelf (Angelika Wienert) said...

"...a bit of a Santoka flavour..."

yeah, that`s true!
i feel the same!


best wishes,
Angelika

2:32 AM  
Blogger Tikkis said...

Muurin ulkopuolella
hautausmaan ympärillä
pitkää ruohoa

(7-7-5)
hau-taus-maa = cemetery

If allowed Behind the wall:

Muurin takana
hautausmaan ympärillä
pitkää ruohoa

5-7-5

But this 'outside' is better, I think. Outsiders are over there...

5:29 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Thank you very much, tikkis. I really appreciate your translation.

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.