haiku-usa

A blog devoted mainly to haiku and senryu and to thoughts about, and inspired by, haiku and senryu.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York

Haiku is to poetry as espresso is to coffee.

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Back from the Berkshires

I've just returned from a long (Wednesday through Sunday) weekend in the Berkshires. Here are some of the haiku I wrote while I was there.

By the way, if you're wondering "Does he drive his wife crazy?" she says no.
1
morning footprints
cancelled by evening snow
winter's going
2
evergreens on a hill
the sun breaking through
whitens the snow
3
snow last night
sun brushing the tops
of white evergreens
4
snow on the hillside
clouds drifting above the trees
only a head cold
5
evergreens
more green today
sun after snow
6
a clump of snow
explodes on the iron step
sudden wind
7
I never saw it
until winter stripped the trees
the curve of the hill
8
empty rack
in the motel bathroom
weekend's over
9
too much winter
driving south
toward the snow
If nothing else, you have an idea of the weather we've been having in the northeast. On the whole, I consider winter an underrated season, and I try to do my best for it, but, as #9 suggests, even my saintly patience is occasionally tried. What inspired that one is that we cut short our stay by one day to avoid what was described by The Weather Channel as "a major MAJOR storm," headed our way from the south.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a pretty inspiring idea, chronicling your trip via haiku.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

You know, I simply posted the haiku in the order in which they were written (not necessarily the order in which they were revised), and only after I had lined them up did it strike me that they did constitute a kind of "chronicle," as you put it. The practice of going beyond the isolated haiku is well established in the tradition--for example, in the haibun, which can be considered a prose form that includes haiku or a collection of haiku in a prose context. The prose component is often a sort of diary or travel journal. Classics of the form include Basho's "Narrow Road to the Interior" and Issa's "The Spring of My Life." I don't mean that my group of haiku have anything to do with haibun; your comment just brought it to mind.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dig 4, 6, & 7 especially. Don't expect me to explain. It is a nice sequence, though.

2:19 PM  
Blogger floots said...

Thanks for your visit and kind words on "terse technology". Thanks also for letting me discover haiku-usa. I've enjoyed reading the whole site but particularly liked 1, 6 and 7 in the Berkshires. Phrases like "footprints cancelled by the evening's snow" are perfect haiku catalysts.
Cheers.

1:39 AM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

morning footprints
cancelled by evening snow
winter's going

great work...

here is my thought on the weather :
Too much sun
Unbearable heat
season of winter I crave

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.